Rob is serving a two-year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the West Indies. This blog will contain his letters home. He is doing a great work, and would love to hear from you!

Monday, July 11, 2016

St. Vincent Bound

Rob will be heading from Grenada to St. Vincent this week, about 85 miles NNW as the crow flies. He expected a transfer, and is glad to be able to work on St. Vincent - but sad at leaving friends behind in Gouyave. Here are his notes: "Heyyyyyy, so transfer call came in yesterday and I'll be headed off to St. Vincent! Should be really cool. I hear my apartment has AC!!!! God answers prayers! haha. The airline we fly here is called Liat. The worst airline in the world, I'm pretty sure, ALWAYS late. We call it LIAT: Leave Island Any Time. haha. It's not scary though, they at least look professional. Kind of weird stepping on a plane with no hangar or anything. Like, you just walk outside to the plane and get on the plane stairs and up you go in the plane. My new companion is Elder Jackson. I actually left the MTC with him, though he wasn't in my district. This will be the first time in my mission that I won't be either with a district leader or a district leader myself. O.o weird! I also have some old friends on St. Vincent now so that'll be cool! Anyways, I'm excited to go but sad to leave. They aren't going to shut down Gouyave, so that's good! Glad to hear that. Gonna say a last few goodbyes to the members tomorrow at HEG so that'll be kinda sad, but I'm sure they won't miss me too much. Gave a talk the other day on families and the importance of families. Was told to give the talk the night before so I wrote it during sacrament meeting while blessing the sacrament and leading the music. bahaha. I actually thought it went really well though! Kinda sad, I don't know if you remember R., but he was the guy that used to come out teaching with us all the time and the guy who stole a bunch of money from Elder Dancan. But ya, he apparently stabbed and killed someone this week so he'll be doing a minimum of 10 years in prison, which is too bad. We're hoping that it sets him straight, but the hard part is that you can tell people look at the missionaries with disgust now. Just cuz these islands are very small and everyone talks, you know? We heard about it like an hour after it happened by some passerby on the street. But ya, you can tell it's pushed people away for the time being, which is everything the Gouyave group DOESN'T need. :/ But what can you do, right? The work continues. Anyways, I'm excited to go to St. Vincent, not only for the AC but also because it's the last island I wanted to visit in the mission! :D So my list of islands I wanted to visit will be complete! I'm almost at a year and a half. Crazy, right!? *cough* Not that I'm counting or anything. ;) haha. O, Padres. I feel like it's always a 'Maybe next year' team. O well... they are probably just waiting for me to come home is all. Thanks for being supportive and helping me have a positive attitude. I'm working at it slowly. I'm really just excited to come home and start school! haha. I don't know. Sounds weird and totally unlike me, but I am stoked! Tell Bax I miss him and I'll be home soon! Well, I gotta go, but thanks for the support as always. Ok, I'll talk to you next week from St. Vincent! Later!"
St. Vincent and the Grenadines, as seen from the air.
Pirates of the Caribbean, Curse of the Black Pearl and Dead Man's Chest, both filmed at Wallilabou Bay on St. Vincent.

No comments:

Post a Comment