Rob is serving a two-year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the West Indies. This blog will contain his letters home. He is doing a great work, and would love to hear from you!

Monday, September 21, 2015

"An army of monkeys"

The caption on this picture was, "Found an army of monkeys yesterday. Haha (I'm totally bringing one home with me):D" Other than that, Rob's update this week is spectacular. I asked him about Jace, the little boy with health issues, and his mother Jill. Rob began with answers to my questions: "Jace is 4 years old; we haven't given him a blessing quite as yet, but we will this upcoming Sunday. Jill actually came to church on Sunday! :O Pretty cool. We've set a baptismal date with her, so we'll see how it goes. It was funny, in gospel principles class this lady was like trying to start an argument and debate in class saying "if God is so equal and fair why does He separate us into 3 kingdoms!?" I'm sitting there with my face in my palm thinking "Great. Well, we're never gonna see Jill again. Thanks a lot, you Darrell." But Jill was whispering to us and was like "She just doesn't understand what you are trying to say I think" and so she wanted to throw in her 2 cents. So I told the teacher Jill has a comment to make and Jill said, "It's like a job, either you can do really good and work hard to progress at your job (celestial), stay stagnant at your job and stay at the same position forever (terrestrial), or do a terrible job at work and get fired (telestial)." And the lady who started it was just like, "O, ok. That makes sense." It was so rad!!! haha She totally put it into perspective for this other girl and in turn everyone was like, thanks for your comment that was really good! Made her feel welcome and knowing that her opinion is valued. It was a total tender mercy! It was kind of cool, President Herrington did interviews this week and just like everybody else, I had to do a role play with him on how to introduce the Book of Mormon in my teaching. After I was done, he said that it was perfect and that he wants me to use that exact same format in my next district meeting lesson :P. Kinda cool to see at least I'm doing something right. Haha. Anyway, transfers are here, and Kuru is gonna be training in Oistins while I train another greenie here in Christ Church. So he'll still be in my district, I just won't see him every day. Apparently President Herrington thinks Kuru is ready. My greenie is from Spanish Fork, Utah. Just trying to make sure he gets trained right but still has fun in the process, because as Elder Cornish said "If you aren't having fun you're not doing it right." Wise man. lol. O ya! HOWS BAXTER!? I miss him so so so so much! Tell him he's a champion. Poor Baxter he never gets enough attention ;) Anyways, things here are good. We met a 70-year-old lady who must weigh around 500lbs and her blind husband who can't weigh over 100lbs. They told us they want to be baptized. I'm excited for them, but it's gonna take awhile I think because they take a while to catch on to what we're saying. Like, I'll say "So in order to live with God again we need to be baptized, how do you think you can live with God again?" And shell be like "...I don't know." haha I'm like *face palm*, but she'll catch on eventually. Just gotta keep working with her slowly. The work seems to be getting easier. As in, I'm not freaking out in lessons as much, thinking to myself, "I hope they don't give me a question I can't answer." I feel much more confident in what I'm teaching, which is nice. I've never seen the Lord working so strongly in my life before. It's a very cool experience to know almost of a surety that He's here with me and that he does work miracles even today. I know I shouldn't get too comfortable though because when I stop progressing it means I'll be in damnation. That's one thing I've learned, is to never stay stagnant. The Lord doesn't like it when we sit in one place for too long. We should be constantly learning and striving to be better. There's always something to work on, and that's something that I never really could grasp back home. But with the closeness of the Spirit in my life these days it's very apparent to me that it's an important task for Him. It's funny, I remember Matt Boles telling me before I left, "It sucks, because now that I KNOW the gospel is true there's no turning back." In other words, I can't live in ignorance anymore because I've found the truth, so now I'm obliged to live by it. haha. Tell Matt I now get what he meant when he said that and I feel his pain. LOL. hope everything is going well back home and that Baxter is getting the attention he needs ;)" Rob also responded to the news that his friend Dylan is planning on going on a mission: "That's so rad to see that Dylan is putting in his papers! I'm excited to see where he goes. Tell him I'm stoked for him and it's a decision he'll never regret! I know a lot of people will tell him that, but until you experience it for yourself, it's hard to understand the magnitude of it all. It's like trying to explain the Spirit to someone who has never heard the words Jesus Christ before. Just gotta experience it for yourself." Regarding the weather: "I thought it was gonna be constant rain, but it turns out it turns off and on like a light switch. Haha. But I guess we're just entering the rainy season? I don't know. Everyone had a different opinion. I'm pretty sure nobody knows what's going on with the weather. I just know this week has been ridiculously hot and wet. Hope all is well. Love you guys, and as always, tell Baxter he's the light of my life and that I miss him the most! Haha! Happy P-day!"

No comments:

Post a Comment