Rob is serving a two-year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the West Indies. This blog will contain his letters home. He is doing a great work, and would love to hear from you!

Monday, September 28, 2015

Rob with his new companion. Just kidding. However, Rob does have a new companion. The goat just likes to follow them around. In my email, I sent thoughts on my "scripture of the week," 1 Nephi 1:20. Here is his response: "LOL. So funny that you mention that scripture because every time I start reading through the Book of Mormon with an investigator, I ALWAYS point that out (the ending of verse 20). I love how Nephi put that, how we know that we can become so much stronger and have Chrsit deliver us in all that we do if we can just rely on Him - or in other words have faith! haha. Sorry. I never thought I'd be that guy that gets all scriptural all the time. It's funny, cuz EVERYTHING out here relates to the scriptures, it seems like now. haha. Guess that's what happens when all you do is focus on the gospel. Anyway, I'm almost done with Jesus the Christ. Learning something new every day! It's like God hooks your brain up to a machine and just starts cranking information into it. Lol. Mission miracles are real. My new companion is rad. He's from Spanish Fork, Utah, and his name is Elder Sandbakken (Norwegian last name), so naturally we get along just fine. He's big into science and space exploration, but he's really cool. Looking forward to serving with him. Just need to break him out of his shell and get him to feel more comfortable talking with investigators and such. He's teaching me how to juggle. bahaha. And teaching me about Einstein's theory of relativity? I don't think I have any of that right, but yeah, pretty interesting. And Elder Sandbakken can cook (hallelujah!). Apparently we'll be watching conference at the church. Our investigator Jillian (the one with the sick kid) is getting baptized not this week, not next week, but the week after, hopefully. She bore her testimony on Sunday (only if I went up with her, cuz she was nervous) and started tearing up talking about her life struggle and such. Afterwards a member got up and gave her a big hug and she made a lot of friends at church. Gordon B. Hinckley said the three things a new convert needs are a friend, a calling, and to be nourished by the good word of God. So hopefully we can provide that for her. Gave her son a blessing a couple days ago. He was kinda squirming around, so I had to make it short, but I'm hoping the Lord got the message and He'll work some of His magic in the kid. I know He will just want the kid to be OK. Regarding the weather: Yeah, the heat has been intense! Plus my bike tire blew out, so for a day we had to walk in it with the sun at noon day :P. It's funny cuz even the Bajans are like, You shouldn't be out in this heat! haha! They don't understand the Lord has my back ;). O, and I got to burn my tie on the 25th. It was like the ugliest tie ever, so I saved it for that very reason. bahaha. Anyway, hope all is well back home Love you guys. Just know I'm getting better at this whole missionary thing every day, and keep your minds open on a monkey. Baxter will get along with him just fine. Tell Baxter he's still my favorite, and that I miss him and love him and can't wait to come back and spoil him to death by letting him have my man cave."
The burning of the tie on September 25th commemorates one quarter of the mission done. Who started this? And what do they burn when it's half over?

No comments:

Post a Comment