Rob is serving a two-year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the West Indies. This blog will contain his letters home. He is doing a great work, and would love to hear from you!

Monday, April 18, 2016

Bless Up, One Love

No pictures again this week, so I'm including some Grenadian color from the interweb. Rob will be staying in the beautiful little fishing village of Gouyave through another transfer, but with a new companion and old friend from St. Lucia. Here are his notes from this week: "Transfer calls were yesterday, and I'll be in Grenada for another month and a half! Serving with a new district leader, Elder Lameta. haha. He's from Samoa. I was his district leader back in St. Lucia. He's a cool dude. Maybe you remember him from some of the photos from back in the day. But ya, our less-active contact wasn't at church yesterday, so that kind of sucked. Anyways, things here are okay, I guess. Gouyave is very tough to find anyone progressing. People normally aren't keeping commitments. Not an easy area to serve in. Still trying to find the elect, but with little to no success. :/ Hopefully things will come around this next transfer. All good though. I took a picture of the Sunday dinner I had [not included]. haha. It was soooooo good! The typical, baked chicken with rice and peas and plantains and figs. BUT, I did get to have a drink called "Seamoss." haha. Apparently it's just like the name implies, moss that grows in the sea - mixed with sugar of course, and other stuff. It was tasty as heck! It occurred to me the other day how weird it's going to be to get used to being on the right side of the road. lol. I feel so accustomed to the left side that it will throw me off for a few days when I get back. But I guess we all saw that coming. I've been reading a lot out of Mosiah this last week. King Benjamin's address more specifically. It's SO good. Very inspiring stuff in there. Makes me wanna be a better person, you know? Anyways, I'm on a short time today. I miss you guys and hope all is well. I've decided I'm going to stick it out the whole two years and not come home early for school. Hope I'm making the right decision. Seems like obviously it should be, but sometimes I have my doubts, you know? Anyways, love you guys. Thanks for everything. Bless up!"
Found a video on YouTube, showcasing the Friday Fish Fry in Gouyave. Quite randomly, you can see two elders in the background of the video. Neither is Rob, of course, but it looks like missionaries traditionally enjoy the fish market and festivities. If you are interested, you can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGDrA9zE7_Q

No comments:

Post a Comment