Rob is serving a two-year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the West Indies. This blog will contain his letters home. He is doing a great work, and would love to hear from you!

Monday, August 22, 2016

Still in Vincy

Rob will be in St. Vincent another 6 weeks. He didn't say where this picture was taken, but I love seeing the people of St. Vincent and like to imagine it is one of the homes where he was fed. Here are his notes from this week: "HEY, things in Vincy are good! haha Ya, I forgot to tell you the tripanionship split up a while ago. Elder Anderson left to St. Maarten a few weeks ago, but transfer calls did come in and Elder Jackson and I will be serving together for another 6 weeks. I don't know how I feel about it. haha. Campden Park is a tough area, but I know it's where I'm supposed to be right now. I'll just work my tail off and hopefully things will go by quick. haha. I sent some pics this morning when we stopped by the church. lol. So we did 3 service projects in one day! It was nuts, we painted a house for the first one and I ended up rolling my ankle moving some cinder blocks. :/ I didn't think it was that serious so we went to cut some grass with cutlasses (machetes) out at a less active's house and it got way worse. haha. Had to take it easy. But when I got home my ankle was the size of a softball. lol. So I limped over to the third one and let Jackson handle the heat of the sun. haha. Cool story about the less active we cut grass for tho! So Elder Jackson was told by a missionary that served in Campden Park (a guy who lives here now and is actually the branch mission leader) about her. Her name is Miss V. and he said NOT to bring up living with her boyfriend cuz she gets really offended. But the last time we went over there we had found out he's moved out and they BOTH want to get back on track with the Lord! haha. Pretty amazing right? Lots of tears shed. You could totally feel the Spirit in the room. Anyway the boyfriend moved to the sisters' area and they are teaching him and Miss V. has been coming to church for the past few Sundays now! :P Way cool. O, and the picture of my cutlass- I don't know if I ever told you but I bought a cutlass in St. Lucia and had an investigator shave off the end of it to make it look more like a sword. bahaha. Cuz why not, right??? Then I took it to an old African Rasta guy who carved some tiki symbols in the handle and made me a sheath for it. LOL. It's pretty rad. As we were doing service I got taught how to use it by some guy who was dumb (literally couldnt speak). He would just point at me and shake his head, and then take my cutlass from me and show me the correct way. Not sure if I ever got it right. lol. But ya, that's been my week. We got in contact with one of our investigators who had a baptismal date. He kinda fell off the face of the planet for awhile, but when we met him again something seems to have changed in him. I dont know what happened exactly but he seems more humble, so we'll see how it goes. :P P-days usually consist of football (soccer) here. I don't know if I told you but the mission president banned the use of beaches on p-day cuz of a missionary who tore her ACL playing volleyball out here. so that's kinda bad, I miss my volleyball. :/ O well. They do have KFC out here. In fact at the airport the first sign I saw was a big sign that said "Welcome to St Vincent! Home of the world best KFC." bahaha They sure do love their fried chicken out here. We got fed yesterday one of the most delicious meals I've ever had! It was still the same old rice with peas (beans) and chicken, but it also had some mashed potatoes and some potato salad that was really good. Emmanuel (the lost investigator was talking about) also made us breadfruit and chicken on Saturday which was really good! He somehow was able to make the breadfruit taste super sweet! I don't know how he did it. lol. O, I also sent you a pic of a GIANT avacado. haha. Emmanuel gave it to us and I was like WHOA that thing is huge! He was like, "Man I just had one last week that was way bigger than that one." haha. Pretty crazy, right? Anyways progressing investigators are few and far between. :/ We'll change that just now tho. It can be discouraging, I don't think you can really grasp it unless you come out and do it ya know? Pouring your heart out to complete strangers everyday while getting doors slammed in your face is emotionally exhausting. haha I was telling Jackons about that earlier like "I always wondered why missionaries came back depressed but I get it now. They just came back from a freaking war pretty much." haha. I know that's not the reason but if it was that'd make a lot of sense. The Lord sends his love in very harsh ways sometimes, but as long as you can realize it's for your benefit it will all work out ya know? Like Nephi said, the Lord giveth no commandment save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which He commanded... or something like that. But ya, things will work out. Just need to learn to rely on Him, easier said than done sometimes, which is kinda goofy if you think about it ya know? Like He is all powerful and we know that, so why do we continue to doubt His will? Idk probably just the natural man. That's weird to think Pres. Ellsworth is no longer our stake president. I'll miss him in that spot too. :/ One of my good friends from St. Lucia is leaving the island on Monday which is kinda sad. :( But life goes on. You would think I would get used to saying goodbyes but it's still hard. Miss you guys a whole lot. But everything here is going really well, just trying to make the best of it. Hoping to have another baptism this transfer. :P Cross your fingers! Anyways long email today. Hope you enjoyed the pics. Jah bless! Love you guys."
Strangest avocado I've ever seen. Thought it was a mango.

No comments:

Post a Comment