Rob is serving a two-year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the West Indies. This blog will contain his letters home. He is doing a great work, and would love to hear from you!

Monday, August 29, 2016

P-day in Beckway and Dancing Rasta

Rob had a great P-day visiting one of the Grenadine Islands, Beckway. It's good they have a day for recharging their batteries, as the day-to-day life of a missionary can be difficult. Here are this week's notes from St. Vincent: "We just went to the island 'Beckway' for P-day and walked around and got to ride on a boat. I'll send some pics in a sec. It was actually really fun! Lots of cool scenery. Ankle still hurts a little, I think cuz I'm not giving it much rest. The work must continue, right!? haha. So church on Sunday was kind of a miracle. lol. We didn't have any investigators show up (4 said they would be there) as usual, but these 2 other RANDOM people that live in our area were brought by other members, so it was like 'WHOA, add 2 to the teaching pool!' haha. Pretty cool. We also got to go to the turtle park in Beckway and pick up big and small turtles! It was cool! As far as me spiritually, I'm still growing slowly. Had the same old white guy find me again today and wanted to tear down my testimony more which was kind of a let down. But the more attacked I get I try to turn it into a learning experience so I can see where other people are coming from, ya know? Like we had this fireside at the branch on Friday called 'Are Mormons Christian?' They brought out a really good point, and that is: when people ask that question they are really asking 'Do you believe in Christ?' and 'What sets you apart from other Christians?' So it's an interesting account to take in. You know the cliche, we teach the same things and it all comes down to revelation. No other faith will tell you they have divine intervention through revelation directly from God Himself, ya know? Well, maybe Catholics, but you know what I mean, right? I mean it all boils down to Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon, which is what we teach. But to convey that to the unlearned and the stubborn and the prideful can be kinda a tricky thing sometimes, as simple as it may sound to us. Time is slow... haha, always slow. Some days we get cursed at and spit at and laughed up, but anyways, all is well. The work continues. Sometimes it's harder to see the end goal than at other times, but the road is strait and narrow. All we can do is keep hoping things will get better :). Fingers crossed. In brighter news, there was a Rasta man who tried to rob Elder Jackson a couple weeks ago and he was dancing on a roof singing about Selassie I. lol. He was extremely intoxicated, but I thought it would be funny to go up on the roof and start dancing with him... so I did. bwahahaha. He didn't do anything though. :( Really thought he was gonna start freaking out on me... o well. :/ But ya, that's been my week. lol. Progressing investigators are few and far between. Just trying to hang in there, plug away, ya know? I'd be lying if I said I'm not super exctied and ready to come home. lol. But I know the work comes first. I was thinking about school and I want to start getting all my ducks in a row and figure out what I'm doing when I get home so I'm not caught up doing nothing. Hopefully I can figure it out before I come home. Thanks for the continual support, it really helps a lot! Anyways, one love, miss you guys and love you! Hope all is well! Jah bless."

No comments:

Post a Comment