Rob is serving a two-year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the West Indies. This blog will contain his letters home. He is doing a great work, and would love to hear from you!

Monday, March 14, 2016

Gouyave, Grenada

Rob is now in Gouyave, Grenada, a more remote area than ones in which he has previously served. The panorama photo above was taken just outside his apartment. Here is his email from this morning: "Ok, so Grenada is great! Very beautiful place! Gouyave is really cool and super secluded from everywhere in the Grenada. It's just a little town right by the sea! Love it here. I still haven't understood why it's called the spice island yet. Apparently a lot of nutmeg? It is pretty bush. I think I was expecting it to be more bush than this, but I think it suffices my third world needs. haha. My new companion is Elder Dancan. He's from Kenya and a way funny guy. He pretends to be a bad missionary but he's really a good missionary. lol. It's fun to be with someone who's black here, because people tend to trust you more. Wish it didn't have to be like that, but you know, it is what it is. We're actually no longer in a branch. It is considered a group because it is so tiny! Had about 10-15 at church on Sunday. It's weird being in a group because the church is just like a house that has sacrament meeting in a living room, basically. It'll be nice to come home and have an actual structured ward again. haha. The area is very remote. It's about an hour from St. George's, which is like the main town of Grenada. Elder Dancan and myself are the only missionaries in the area. The white rock story is awesome. Makes you wonder how it actually got there, you know? [By way of explanation, I wrote to him about a small white rock I found in a really random place. I have been putting small white rocks in a jar for every day he is gone. Finding the rock in my path reminded me the Lord is looking out for Rob, always.] The Lord blesses us in the simplest of ways. Sometimes if we don't pay attention they can pass us by without us even seeing it. President Monson seems to be talking a lot about bringing things back to basics lately, and it makes sense. The foundation of our testimony should be continually strengthened so we can add to our knowledge. And teaching others is the best way to accomplish that! This week has been cool, getting to know the new area. Everyone likes the missionaries here a lot so that's really cool. Just seems like people won't keep commitments and actually act on the message we share. With the group being the way it is we are probably just going to try and reactivate members in the area so we can make it a branch. Hopefully all goes well! :P new mailing address is PO box 3804 Lagoon road, St Georges Grenada. Thanks for the support. I'm just hoping time can start to fly by. lol. As nice as it is here, home still sounds a whole lot better. I am way excited for my year mark to be here! lol. Is that bad? I'm super trunky already. :P Thanks for the prayers. They are well received on my end. Anyway, I'll talk to you next week. Love you all!"

No comments:

Post a Comment