Rob is serving a two-year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the West Indies. This blog will contain his letters home. He is doing a great work, and would love to hear from you!

Monday, April 20, 2015

Buses, Bach, and Bad Hair

Here is the latest email from Rob, still serving in Black Rock, Barbados. By way of explanation, Rob's grandmother (Roger's mom) has been thrilled to hear about Rob's mission. When we see her each week she immediately asks about him and what news we have. At our last visit she wanted us to ask Rob how he approaches people he meets, or in other words, how he might introduce the gospel to folks in Barbados. The first part of his email answers that question. Here's Rob (slightly edited): "That's so cool that Nana is asking stuff like that. To answer your question, I normally just try and get to know people first before going into a spiritual thought. I'm still not too good at it but I'm getting there. The people here are quite prideful (haha), but I love 'em! Got to ride on the bus quite a bit this last week. I was sitting in the front seat listening to Reggae while people were shouting and I just looked around and laughed thinking, "Man, what on earth am I doing here?" lol Thought about Bryant [a long-time friend] while riding the bus. He would've gotten a kick out of it. Hey, have you ever seen that episode of Seinfeld where they get their shower heads replaced? If not watch it cuz my hair is like that here (hahaha). O ya! We're allowed to listen to classical music out here, so if you could send me like some Chopin or Bach or something that would be really awesome! Anyways, miss you guys a lot. Just trying to get things done out here. Met a guy yesterday who was an electrician so I got to relate with him a lot and got him to laugh quite a bit, but hopefully things follow through. Other than that, teaching the people here is really hard. It's apparently the hardest island on the mission to get baptisms, cuz people will just speak their mind at you and it's usually pretty negative. Good thing I got tough skin. How's Baxter?????? [the dog] Give him a treat for me plz! I'm getting thru the 2 Nephi chapters right now and it's extremly difficult. Any way of getting through those tough ones? O ya, I'm getting super tan out here lol. You probably won't recognize me when I come home. Anyways, miss you guys a ton. I'll be back to email u next week! O, and tell President Ellsworth he's the man! I appreciate the prayers. They make a world's difference."
I am including this photo from the mission home in Trinidad, which I recently found on the West Indies Mission Facebook page. Who knew? Still no photos from Barbados. Can this be my son? We continue to google Bridgetown, Barbados in order to visualize the area Rob is in. Hopefully he will remember to take pictures before he leaves Barbados.
Googled photo of Bridgetown, Barbados.

No comments:

Post a Comment