Rob is serving a two-year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the West Indies. This blog will contain his letters home. He is doing a great work, and would love to hear from you!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Staying in Gouyave

It is rainy season in the Caribbean and we are hoping Elder Platt can keep his feet dry this year. He was happy to hear he will stay in Gouyave, Grenada at least one more transfer, six weeks. Here are his emails from yesterday (photos will be added when I get back to my desktop): "Haha, yes, rain! Ya, the rain is getting kind of old, I'll be honest. I believe my exact words were, "Man, I can't wait till I don't have to be wet... All the time." Lol. Looking forward to that. That and home cooked meals. Everything here is chicken and rice. We get the occasional KFC or Subway which is nice, but man do I miss home cooking. Am I allowed to make a request for when I get home?! I don't even know what I want, just know I miss your cooking. Transfers came in yesterday and I will be staying in Gouyave for another transfer with Lameta! Which I am cool with. Just wish I had some A/C! Haha. Things here are good. Sister Jenny came to church again which pretty much makes her reactivated. Kinda radical! You know, it's kinda funny you mention the thing about voices because in last year's conference during the priesthood session President Monson talked about the same thing, and whenever my investigators talk about how are they "supposed to feel the Spirit?" I go over exactly that! I tell them there are SO many outside influences around us it can be hard to pinpoint which is the Spirit. I continue to tell them, "Why do you think it is we ask you to turn off the TV? Or eliminate distractions in general? So we can discern when the Spirit speaks to us." I tell them the next time you pray and ask God if this is true, then stop and listen to the calm voice, the voice of reason. And by all means if that calm voice speaks softly and warmly that this is not the path for you, then we will stop coming by. But I know it won't. Lol. Just got into a little lesson. But ya, just thought it was cool that you brought that up cuz I use that a lot! Nobody showed up to scripture study this week. Well, I shouldn't say nobody. Brother George (group leader) came, and Sister Calliste, but she was 30 minutes late and we decided to call it since no one was there:/. BUT, we did get to run into Sister George, who I hadn't met yet but heard a lot about. She used to be very active and I've been wanting to see her for awhile. But ya, it was cool, got to introduce myself and invite her to church again. She said she would be there but didn't show up. Lol. But hey, we know where she lives now so we're gonna stop by today:). Elder Holland is so inspiring. He's so right about the Book of Mormon being the true source of conversion. Many things will stand in your way to try and lead you off course but one thing will always stand true: The Book of Mormon. I suppose that's why they call it the keystone of our religion, eh? Well hey, tell everyone I miss them! This week's been hard but the work continues, right? Just know I love you guys. Thanks for the support. See you soon!"

No comments:

Post a Comment